Saturday, May 21, 2011

DoJ: Charge Boracay 'swindlers'!

 Tess Lapuz-Lardizabal , Journal

DOLORA and Sumit Khanna helped geophysicist Jesse Liam Cannon dream big in Boracay. With sleek tongues, both suspects convinced the UK-North Ireland-Australian citizen that he could own a condo unit in the tropical paradise for P6 million. However, the fantasy home crumbled and vanished like a sand castle after the Khannas had already received P3.7 million from the victim.

“The money I invested in Boracay was saved over all years of working at sea and losing everything had a huge effect on my well-being.  Since this happened to me I have been battling with deep feelings of depression and anxiety, I can say that I have suffered in ways which is so powerful it can be compared to physical damage,” said Cannon.

It wasn’t long before Cannon learned that the Khannas had been trying to sell to him a non-existent property at an area in Boracay called The Cliff. The Fairways and Bluewater Resort has also stated that it did not issue an authority to sell the units of Sofia Condominium to Dolora and Sumit.

On Nov. 12, 2010, Cannon filed charges for violation of Section No. 5, in relation to Section No. 39, of Presidential Decree No. 957 against BLH officials Dolora “Dolly” C. Khanna, CEO; Sumit Khana, director of operations and marketing; Rochelle Fender, director of international sales; Darrel Girdner, general manager; Joseph Rose, director of finance; Rex Carlson, director of finance; and Julie Rose, marketing and business development consultant. 

The case was filed before the Department of Justice.

Last May 3, 2011, the Department of Justice- Office of the Provincial Prosecutor in Kalibo, Aklan, ruled in favor of Cannon.

In a resolution by Ronaldo B. Ingente, second assistant provincial prosecutor, and approved by Provincial Prosecutor Ma. Maya Bien G. Mayor-Tolentino, the respondents were charged for violation of Presidential Decree No. 957 “since they sold properties which need prior license from the concerned government agency.”

The DOJ-Provincial Prosecutor’s Office-Aklan also ordered that an information for estafa and another information for violation of Section 39 of Presidential Decree o. 957 be filed against the Khanas.

“Maybe if I had been from a rich family it would not be so difficult, but all the money I invested was made from my own work,” said Cannon. “At the beginning, I felt confident enough to put all my trust in the Philippines, I noticed that good publicity was beginning to emerge about this paradise country, but what happened here has left me hugely shocked and disappointed.  I feel that there is only one positive way to save this situation. And that is, if we will be able to find justice together with the help of the good people at People’s Tonight. I would like to appeal to all of the good people out here in the Philippines to help us find justice for the people that get hurt by things like this.”

Cannon also expressed relief that he has sighted a glimmer of hope and justice with the DOJ resolution.

“My girlfriend, who comes from Manila, has been very supportive of me through this.  Because of what happened in Boracay, it will be many more years before I can buy a house for us to live in or give her a nice wedding that she would want.  She has stuck beside me through all of the ups and downs and I couldn’t ask for a better companion,” he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment