Thursday, October 28, 2010

Malay council urges TIEZA to complete Boracay drainage project


BORACAY ISLAND, Aklan - The Malay Council, which has jurisdiction in this resort island, has asked the Tourism Infrastructure Enterprise Zone Authority (TIEZA) to revive and complete its pending storm drainage project here.

Malay Councilor Jonathan Cabrerra, who filed a resolution in the council seeking for the completion of the project, said the TIEZA has already started constructing the drainage project, but that it has been suspended due to the problem with the contractor.

"The project construction has been started three years ago. The rainy season is coming so Boracay Island needs a functional drainage project by now," said Cabrera.

The TIEZA is formerly known as the Philippine Tourism Authority.

During rainy season, some lowland areas in Boracay island experience flooding due to the absence of drainage system.

Last September, Atty. Edgar Bocar representing the TIEZA said they are planning to resume the project by November this year.


Friday, October 22, 2010

Comelec to be strict in enforcing liquor ban in Boracay and the rest of Aklan

BORACAY ISLAND, Aklan- The Commission on Elections (Comelec) warned both resort owners and bars in this resort island and the whole of the province that they will be strict in implementing the liquor ban on October 24 if they have not applied for exemption.

Records from the poll body indicated that only the Shangrila Resort and Boracay Regency have applied so far.

Failure of the owner to apply will result in penalization if the establishment will continue to sell liquor despite the ban.

The Comelec also reported that three gun ban violators were nabbed since they implemented the gun ban in time for the barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections on October 25.

Some 5,232 positions have to be filled up by the candidates both in the barangay and SK posts.

Both the Comelec and the Aklan Provincial Police Office are ensuring continued peace and order in the province.


Monday, October 18, 2010

Security improved at Caticlan Jetty Port


BORACAY Island, Aklan - The Caticlan Jetty Port has been improved with the installation of an x-ray machine as additional security feature.

Port administrator Niven Maquirang said that the purchase of a new machine was funded by the P6-million appropriation coming from the revenue generated by the port. The increased collection is attributed to the rise in the numbers of tourists visiting the resort island of Boracay.

"After bidding, we were only able to purchase the machine for P4.2 million excluding some needed gadgets. We could say that we do have a savings in the budget of our department," said Maquirang.

The administration of both the Caticlan and Cagban Jetty Ports here is under the Economic Enterprise Development Department (EEDD) of the Aklan provincial government.

Revenue collections report of the jetty port said that from January to August this year, they had generated P5.219 million from the terminal collections of P75 each tourists passing the port.

Aside from the x-ray machine, the jetty port has also placed a turnstile facility to secure tourists and passengers arriving in Boracay through the Strong Republic Nautical Highway.

"We will still be installing more security features for Boracay tourists in the days to come," said Maquirang.

The Aklan provincial government expects a surge of tourists arriving beginning this semestral break that will continue until summer of next year.


Friday, October 15, 2010

Rugby:Boracay to host International Beach Rugby Festival

BORACAY ISLAND, Aklan- This resort island will host this year's edition of the International Beach Rugby Festival that will kick off Oct. 16 at the beach front of the Pearl of Pacific Resort.

Organizers said that this tournament will see men rugby teams and ladies touchball teams from all over Asia come together for the festival's inaugural staging.

The awarding ceremony will be held in the Cocomangas Shooters Bar October 17. Large crowd of tourists are expected to attend.

The organizers said that they have selected this resort island as the perfect location for this outdoor sport because of its gorgeous tropical weather, fine white sand and the deep blue sea making it the ideal spot. Said tournament attracts teams from all around the world and features both men's five-a-side games and women's touch rugby competitions.

Earlier, the Aklan Provincial Tourism Council said that they are welcoming the holding of international competitions in this resort island as it continuously boosts the tourism allure of Boracay.


Media not part of the TWG

Boracay Island- Media is not invited by the Technical Working Group (TWG) on hostage taking crises to participate to their fourthcoming meeting with the 17 mayors of Aklan on October 22.

The media’s role are considered essential in the TWG but because of the indifference of the Aklan provincial government with the Aklan media. Imagine a hostage taking scenario in Boracay Island with the unmanaged media.

The media have not been properly informed about their role on the crises management module being worked upon by the TWG.

Senior Supt. Epifanio Bragais, provincial police director said the meeting will tackle the mayors’ role during hostage-taking scenarios.

Bragais said the media can only cover the said event but their participation in the proceeding is not important.

Considered as the first in the country, the meeting will be initiated by the provincial government of Aklan and the Philippine National Police (PNP).

The province’s TWG was created after the hostage-taking incident in Manila on August 23 where eight Hong Kong tourists died.

According to Bragais, they do not want the same to happen in the province, especially in this resort island.

The Philippine Coast Guard, Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines and the Provincial Engineers Office, among other agencies, comprise the TWG.

The PNP hopes all the mayors will attend to the meeting.

Earlier, Chief Supt. Samuel Pagdilao Jr., Police Regional Office 6 director, said the PNP has made Boracay Island a priority area for implementing peace and order measures after the Manila hostage incident.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Agham Partylist opposes setting up of coal-fired power plant in Iloilo


BORACAY ISLAND, Aklan- Agham Partylist lawmaker Angelo Palmones defends the party's opposition to the operation of coal-fired power plant in Iloilo, saying that coal energy is not anymore a viable energy source.

Instead, Palmones pushes for the operation of nuclear power plant in Luzon.

"I want the people of Iloilo to know the reality that coal-fired power plant, as a source of energy, is getting expensive nowadays. With the onset of technology, it is now more viable if we could support the nuclear power instead," said Palmones, former station manager of DZMM radio.

According to the Department of Energy, it plans to appropriate P 100 million for a study on the viability of nuclear power plant in the country.

"If the nuclear power would materialize, this would certainly benefit power consumers also in Visayas and Mindanao," Palmones told this writer in a telephone interview.

The coal-fired power plant in Iloilo is on protest after its supposed first test of operation is believed to cause nearby residents health problems. The Panay Energy Development Corp., the operator of the coal-fired plant is scheduling another round of test for its operation in La Paz, Iloilo.

Earlier, the Aklan Electric Cooperative (AKELCO), which distributes electricity in this resort island, also plans to tap the coal-fired power plant in Iloilo to boost electricity source on this resort island.

The AGHAM stands for Alyansa ng Grupong Haligi ng Agham at Teknolohiya Para sa Mamamayan, Inc.


Monday, October 11, 2010

Boracay not threatened by emerging tourism destinations in the country

BORACAY ISLAND- The Aklan Provincial Tourism Council is not threatened with the emergence of new tourism destinations in the countryside as this resort island has already cemented its popularity as the premier tourism destination.

Vicky Ramos-Antonino, who also heads the regional tourism council, said that they appreciate the emergence of tourism destinations in the country although some of them are apparently wanting to compete in this resort island.

"I could say that Boracay is not threatened with other emerging tourism destinations in the country because the resort island has been widely known for too many years. Tourists may still want to visit this resort island despite the other alternative tourism destinations," said Ramos-Antonino.

Residents here said that this resort island too has been visited by Hollywood stars in the previous years. Among the Hollywood personalities who had discreetly visited this resort island were Michael Jackson, Madonna, and recently Michael Madsen, among others.

Unconfirmed reports also indicated that Hollywood couple Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie might have also visited this resort island years ago.

Some of the luxurious hotels here also reported of having frequent guests who are royalties from Muslim countries around the world. Their visit, however, were deemed confidential as part of the tourism packages.

Boracay Island has been considered as one of the world's top ten best beaches in 2007 and in 1997.