Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Malay LGU asks DPWH to fast-track Boracay circumferential road project

BORACAY ISLAND, Malay-- The Malay town council which has jurisdiction over this resort island has asked the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) to fast track its long delayed P80-million circumferential road project here.

Malay councilor Jonathan Cabrera said that the delay in the completion of the circumferential road hampers initiatives for the improvement of this resort island.

Among these are the deliberations on the proposed traffic code and terminal parking ordinance to ease traffic situation.

The DPWH is still waiting for the release of the fund from the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) for the project to be completed.

"Part of our deliberation is to ask the DPWH why the Boracay Circumferential Road has been suspended," said Cabrera.

For several years this resort island has been besieged with traffic woes due to the increasing numbers of both tourists and local residents. 

Monday, June 13, 2011

Resort in Boracay asks court to lift closure order


">BORACAY ISLAND, Malay- The West Cove management will ask the proper court to lift the closure order recently issued by the local government of Malay.

Ben Hur Mobo III, manager of West Cover said that they have already submitted their complete requirements at the local government unit (LGU) but they did not receive any reply from the latter.

He added that they have the support of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) as they continue to develop their resort.

The LGU-Malay ordered the closure of the resort owned by businessman Crisostomo Aquino for allegedly lacking business and occupancy permits. Aquino is the business partner of Filipino boxing champ, Rep. Manny Pacquiao.

"While we are then waiting for the supposed reply of the LGU, the DENR has instructed us to comply with all the necessary requirements as part of the Forest Land Use for Tourism Purposes (Flag-T)," Mobo said.

He added that they have complied with the requirements to include Boracay Assessment Underwater Report, Geo Hazard Assessment Report and Environmental Performance Report and Management Program.

“The West Cove Resort in the process has become an ecological and environmentally safe resort because of DENR,” he said.

The said studies were initiated by different respected experts and scientists coming from the Mines and Geo-Science Bureau of the DENR and the University of the Philippines-Marine Scientists.

"Our lawyers do not recognize the closure order of the LGU. We are instead demanding from them that if they want to close our resort they should do it through a court order. We are legally prepared," said Mobo who admitted he was surprised with the LGU action. 

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Yap: I warned the owner


BORACAY — Malay Mayor John Yap said he earlier warned the owner of the hotel-resort that he ordered closed on Friday afternoon.

“I asked Aquino to stop developing his property. Yet he continued,” said Yap, so he decided to order the “closure, removal and demolition of illegal structures and building of West Cove Hotel and Resort.”

Yap was referring to the business establishment’s owner, Crisostomo Aquino.

He said he has been talking to Aquino since last year.

Aquino was known to be a business partner of boxing icon and Sarangani Rep. Emmanuel “Manny” Pacquiao.

Yap ordered the hotel-resort closed for having no business permit and occupancy permit from the local government unit (LGU).

‘NO WAY’

The hotel-resort’s general manager, Ben Hur Mobo III, received the closure order served


CLOSED.

Men are putting up a signage indicating that the West Cove Hotel and Resort in Malay, Aklan was ordered closed.
on Friday afternoon.

The business establishment was then allowed to receive guests only until Friday evening.

But according to Mobo, they did not fail to secure a permit from the LGU.

In fact, he said they have passed all the necessary requirements to the Municipal Hall.

It was the LGU who failed to process the permit due to what they called zoning violations, Mobo said.

“Our lawyers do not recognize the (LGU’s) order. We demand closure order from the court. We will uplift the closure order in a legal way,” Mobo stressed.

About 40 police personnel and a team from the LGU served Municipal Executive Order No. 10 Series of 2011.

According to Yap, the hotel-resort violated Presidential Decree 1096 or the National Building Code.

In his order dated June 7, 2011, Yap said: “In view of your unjustified refusal to comply with the aforecited law or ordinance, this office hereby orders the permanent closure or your establishment without prejudice to the demolition or removal of said illegal erected building or structure at your expense.”

“Mindful that the Island of Boracay is a premier tourist destination, this office has the obligation to safeguard life, health, property, and public welfare, consistent with the principles of sound environmental management and control,” the mayor added.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Aklan gov insists Boracay reclamation project safe


BORACAY ISLAND- The Aklan provincial government is keen on pushing its reclamation project although it currently abides by the Temporary Environmental Protection Order (TEPO) issued by the Supreme Court (SC) recently.

Aklan governor Carlito Marquez is in Manila now along with his economic team to prepare for the legal battle against the Boracay Foundation Incorporated (BFI) that is strongly opposing the project.

"We are confident that we could be able to push the project. As long as we are concerned, the reclamation project is safe because of the study undertaken by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) and the Philippine Reclamation Authority (PRA)," Marquez said.

The Aklan provincial government undertook the project through a bond flotation to expand tourism lure in this resort island considered as one of the world’s best beach tourism destinations.

The Aklan provincial government is confident that the SC will consider its plea as they have met all the necessary requirements needed for the project.

The SC, in its TEPO, has given the Aklan provincial government 10 days to file its comment.
The Aklan provincial government targets one million tourists for Boracay Island next year hoping to complete the project in time. 

Friday, June 3, 2011

Malay town pushes for Boracay preservation

BORACAY — The municipal government of Malay, which has jurisdiction over this resort island, recently released a poster presenting the ways on how to help preserve Boracay.

This poster intends to complement the local legislations passed by the Town Council for the preservation and conservation of this world-renowned resort island.

According to Malay Mayor John Yap, among these legislations were:

* Municipal Ordinance No. 100, series of 1996 (anti-smoking)

* Municipal Ordinance No. 272, series of 2009 (no smoking by the beach)

* Municipal Ordinance No. 2001-141 (anti-extraction of sand and pebbles)

* Municipal Ordinance No. 98-116 (no urinating and defecating on the beach)

* Municipal Ordinance Nos. 182-2003 and 92-1996 (no pets are allowed by the beachfront), and

* Municipal Ordinance No. 132-2000 (no eating and drinking of liquor by the beach)

Erring residents and tourists who will violate the said ordinances “will be penalized, depending on the gravity of the violation,” said Yap.

Nevertheless, “our local enforcers will strictly impose the penalties and there will be no exemptions,” the mayor added.

APFTI eyes more trade centers in PH

BORACAY — The Advocate for Philippine Fair Trade Inc. (APFTI) is bullish on increasing trade centers in the country.

Trade centers indicate that Philippine-made products are being appreciated by consumers worldwide.

APFTI President and Chief Executive Officer Vicente Roaring said they are eyeing this resort island as one of the possible venues for the opening of another fair trade shop here.

Fair trade centers are known all over the world to sell locally made products like souvenir items, indigenous foods and handicrafts.

APFTI has already opened five fair trade shops in Cebu City, Cagayan De Oro City, Naga City, Tagbilaran City and General Santos City.

Roaring said the sixth shop will open in Malaybalay City in Bukidnon province.

Like other countries, especially in Europe, fair trade shops are considered a way of life that follows certain principles such as for social justice and equity, environment, transparency, empowerment, capacity building and fair and living wages.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Malay SB to revisit claims of Aetas as original inhabitants of Boracay


BORACAY ISLAND, Malay Aklan– The Sangguniang Bayan of Malay will take a second look at the claim of Aetas residing in this island that they are the original inhabitants of Boracay.

This is in light of the Aetas continued struggle to acquire lands in Boracay.

It could be noted that the Aetas in this island were awarded Certificate of Ancestral Domain Title (CADT) by the National Commission on Indigenous Persons (NCIP) as provided for under the Indigenous Peoples Republic Act (IPRA).

However, they claimed that they are still disallowed to enter the property given them. The area is allegedly being claimed by a businessman.

The plan to revisit the claim developed after some original non-Aeta inhabitants said that there are only two Aetas living in the island since the 1950s. The two Aetas worked as caretakers of land of some of Boracay residents.

The council will summon experts cited by the NCIP as witnesses that indeed Aetas are the original inhabitants of this resort island.

At least 46 Aeta families reside in this resort island and are being taken cared of by a congregation of nuns under the Daughters of Charity.